Should I take Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?
Great question! We’ve put together a quick guide with all you need to know about these two famous pain relievers & fever reducers. Read on to become a pain relief pro!
What are Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen?
Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are both trusted pain relievers offered by Santo Remedio as part of our Over-the-Counter products.
Millions of bottles of each are sold worldwide every year, under many brand names. They both have a history of safe usage, but they are definitely not just two names for the same thing. Both are entirely different types of drugs, with different strengths and weaknesses.
Ibuprofen fast facts:
- Classified as an anti-inflammatory drug, meaning that it is proven to reduce inflammation.
- Also helps reduce fever.
- Processed in the body by the kidneys.
- Because it reduces inflammation, it is often used to treat acute pain, like the pain from sports injuries.
- It’s approved by the FDA as a treatment for rheumatiod arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- For some people it can cause stomach irritation.
Acetaminophen fast facts:
- A very trusted analgesic (pain reliever) that also reduces fever.
- Used by itself but also added to many different products (Midol, Theraflu, NyQuil, among many others).
- Processed in the body by the liver.
- Is generally well-tolerated by most people, and easier on the stomach than ibuprofen.
- May be safer than Ibuprofen for pregnant women.
So, which one should you use?
Use what works for you! Both should be a staple of any medicine cabinet, especially as a quick way to safely reduce fever. And, though they are safe drugs, just be sure to use as directed.
Here’s Dr. Juan explaining how he decides between Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen:
Let’s be healthier, together.
Your friends at Santo Remedio