Cramped legs? Soothe them with flavor!
If there is something unpredictable and painful in life, it’s cramps and muscle spasms. You've probably felt them on more than one occasion; they usually occur when you watch TV, after exercising, or even as you sleep peacefully. Although the cause of these annoying cramps is still uncertain (1), there are several home remedies to help alleviate them. Practicing muscle stretches and adding necessary nutrients to your diet can help improve this discomfort.
We are sharing a smoothie recipe with you that, aside from being a delicious option for any time of the day, is a great alternative to treating muscle cramps. Prepare this recipe today and say goodbye to muscle spasms!
½ cup almonds
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 cup milk (or almond milk)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 magnesium tablet
1 calcium tablet
1 stevia sachet (optional)
Pour the almonds, Greek yogurt, milk, peanut butter, magnesium and calcium tablets, and the stevia if you want a sweet touch, into the blender. Blend all the ingredients together and serve in a glass with ice. Your smoothie is now ready for you to enjoy. You’re going to like it so much that you will surely want to repeat it every so often.
There are several home remedies for the treatment and prevention of muscle spasms. Some of these can reduce both the intensity and duration, according to research, although the cause and cure is still unknown. In some cases, cramps may be associated with muscle disturbances and fatigue. (1)
Almonds are rich in minerals like magnesium and copper, and phytonutrients. (2) Studies explain that magnesium can be beneficial for nocturnal leg cramps. (3)
Other research points to diet as the primary source of calcium. This mineral plays an important role in bone health, as well as in preventing muscle contraction and nerve impulse transmission. (4)
Peanut butter is a dietary source of magnesium, as are whole grains, legumes, and leafy green vegetables. Studies reveal the efficacy of magnesium consumption in relieving leg cramps, particularly in pregnant women. (5)
Dairy products have also been shown to be a rich source of calcium. Studies conclude that foods and beverages remain the best choice for obtaining calcium. (6)
If you suffer from leg cramps too often, check with your doctor to see if there are other factors in your health that may be affecting you. Don't neglect your muscles; they do so much for you every day.
Let's get healthier together.
Your Santo Remedio Team
1. Maughan RJ, Shirreffs SM. “Muscle Cramping During Exercise: Causes, Solutions, and Questions Remaining.” Sports Med. Vol.49(2)115-12; Dec. 2019 doi: 10.1007/s40279-019-01162-1 URL:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31696455/
2. Kamil A, Chen C Y. “Health benefits of almonds beyond cholesterol reduction.” J Agric Food Chem.Vol.60(27):6694-702.; Jul 2012 doi: 10.1021/jf2044795. URL:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22296169/
3. Roguin Maor N, Alperin M, Shturman E, Khairaldeen H, Friedman M, Karkabi K, Milman U. “Effect of Magnesium Oxide Supplementation on Nocturnal Leg Cramps: A Randomized Clinical Trial.” JAMA Intern Med. Vol.1;177(5):617-623; May 2017 doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9261. URL: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28241153/
4. 4. Shrimanker I, Bhattarai S.” Electrolytes.” StatPearls [Internet]; Jul. 2021 URL:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31082167/
5. 5. Guerrera MP, Volpe SL, Mao JJ. “Therapeutic uses of magnesium.” Am Fam Physician. Vol. 15;80(2):157-62; Jul. 2009 URL:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19621856/
6. Farré Rovira R. “La leche y los productos lácteos: fuentes dietéticas de calcio [Milk and milk products: food sources of calcium].” Nutr Hosp. Vol.7;31 Suppl 2:1-9. Spanish; Apr 2015 doi: 10.3305/nh.2015.31.sup2.8676.URL:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25862323/
Con la llegada del verano aumenta la temperatura, el calor, las actividades al aire libre y la intensidad de los...
Puede ser que te intimide probar el Ayuno Intermitente o, si lo hiciste, no hayas conseguido los resultados que esperabas...
El verano está a la vuelta de la esquina, pero para muchas personas eso es motivo de estrés. Saber que...
Join the Santo Remedio family
Subscribe to receive gift gifts, discounts and advice from Dr. Juan