How to Prepare Yourself for the Covid Vaccine
Dr Juan Rivera, MD, bestselling author and co-founder of Santo Remedio, was recently in the first wave of front line medical workers to receive the Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19.
He’s been answering questions and documenting his experience on social media @drjuanjr. But he knows you have even more questions about when it’s your turn to take the vaccine.
Is it safe?
How does it really make you feel?
What’s a strange side effect that no one expects?Everyone is going to react individually to the vaccine. But here are lessons from Dr. Juan’s own experience that may be able to help you better prepare.
1. Clear your ScheduleYou might have side effects from the vaccine that could include weakness or a mild fever. Dr. Juan didn’t have a fever, but he experienced a general feeling of tiredness and fatigue 2-3 days after his first vaccine dose.
You might not feel any weakness at all, but it’s always a good idea to be prepared. Try as much as possible to keep the schedule light on the days after your first dose. Take a day or two off of work, if possible, or try to get all the shopping done in the days before you get the vaccine. The important thing, according to Dr. Juan, is to give your body the rest it needs to develop the antibodies from the vaccine.
2. Sleep and Hydrate and SupplementThis advice applies both before you take the vaccine, and after. The immune system is a complicated dance of millions of chemical reactions. Good sleep, plenty of water, and the right nutrients will all help your body perform at its best.
Have you been focusing on getting 7-8 hours of sleep in the days before the vaccine? Are you drinking 8-10 cups of water per day? Are you supporting your immune system with antioxidants, micronutrients, and vitamin D?
If you do all these things, both before and after taking the vaccine, you’ll give your body the tools it needs to be at its best.
3. Expect the UnexpectedThis doesn’t mean you expect anything bad to happen! Just try to prepare yourself mentally for whatever might arrive. Don’t assume just because you are healthy or fit that you won’t feel tired. And, vice versa, many people report little to no side effects at all from taking the vaccine! Dr. Juan reported a marked increase in appetite as a side effect. Watch your sweet-tooth!
The important part is to build mental resilience inside yourself. To say: “Whatever comes from this vaccine, I can handle it. I’m ready for it.” Because you are. The Covid-19 vaccine is a wonderful, even joyful, moment in the history of medicine. Get excited to be a part of it, and a part of saving lives.
4. Keep your Mask on and Stay Safe!The Covid-19 vaccine doesn’t give you immediate immunity to coronavirus. It helps trigger your bodies’ natural immune response, meaning that immunity to Covid-19 is going to take time.
Obviously before you take your first vaccine shot you can contract Covid-19. And you can also contract it during the time between your first and second dose, as your body is building immunity.
That’s why it’s so important for you and the ones you love to stay safe and wear your mask, especially right before you take the vaccine and right after. We’ve all come so far, let’s be extra vigilant during this crucial time.
5. Focus on the Science, Not the Outside NoiseWhether or not you take the vaccine is a very personal choice. But don’t let untrusted news sources scare you. Both of the currently approved vaccines have been through extensive human testing with very few adverse side effects.
There are a lot of opinions out there, and some fake news, to be honest. Dr. Juan chose to document his daily diary after taking the vaccine in order to show a real-life look into what taking the vaccine is like. It’s a personal choice, but there’s nothing nefarious about the vaccine. it’s a wonderful moment, and the first step to us all being able to be together again.
Let’s get healthier (and vaccinated!) together,
Your friends at Santo Remedio
What is your motivation to lose weight? Chances are you want to look fit, have more energy, or feel more...
Seguramente habrás visto decenas de videos en redes sociales sobre las maravillas de la berberina o berberine. Muchos comparan su...
¿Te pasa a menudo que comes algo y necesitas correr al baño? O, por el contrario, el estreñimiento convierte tus...
Join the Santo Remedio family
Subscribe to receive gift gifts, discounts and advice from Dr. Juan